Veteran's Day Large Scale American Flag Relief Sculpture




My school is hosting a Veteran's Day celebration to honor our military men and women.  I wanted to do my part to thank those who serve our country especially since my dad and brothers have served in the Army, Navy and the Marines.  All of my classes were introduced to the history of Veteran's Day by viewing a video on United Streaming.  We also looked at Jasper Johns and other artists who used  patriotic images in their work.  My favorite project and the most visually striking  is our eight foot long sculptural flag created by my fourth and fifth graders.  Last year I found this great lesson on Artsonia which showed how to make "texture boxes."  I took this basic idea and created a large scale American Flag.  Each student made a 4.5 x 9 inch texture themed paper sculpture which I later assembled into a large eight foot long flag. Our fantastic volunteer coordinator used the flag as a  back drop for the  photo of our veterans and their families.  Check back later for these great pics!

Comments