Windows to the Soul

My husband is a master crafter when it comes to up-cycling windows. He created 2 of these unique, fun, beautiful shadow boxes several years ago.  I have struggled all this time on how to utilize them.  They are thin, have 9 frames, screw closed from the bottom, and lift for semi-easy access.  HELP! Any suggestions or advice you can send my way would be helpful.

I feel guilty he made these for me, and I have not come up with a great way to use them and showcase them.  Today I played around with using scrapbook sheets, to make a patchwork pattern.  Then I thought I could use either vintage family pictures or current ones made to look vintage in decorative frames centered in the wood frames.  Here is a snapshot, what do you think?
Here are a couple other window creations my very talented husband has created.  The first, houses vintage collections from grandparents, the windows open like a door, and shelves are glass.

The second, the windows slide to reveal bookshelves and keepsakes, and the top is a great display for family photos.
Lori



Comments

  1. OH MY!! LORI! I would LOVE LOVE some of those! So many possibilities.
    - add cup hooks to the bottom of each shelf then hang things from the hooks....you could hang seasonal stuff and switch out for each holiday...or more permanent things
    - run string across the top of each square and hang pictures with tiny clothes pins
    - make each square a little miniature room (would die for that one!)
    - You could make shelves within shelves or cubes and use them like miniature displays kinda like these frames: http://www.archiversonline.com/ideas/home-decor-us-seven-tray-43
    - Put your monograms with big wooden letters (that he makes) LBJ and NBK a letter in each square.
    OK, that all of the top of my head :-) can't wait to see what you come up with!
    nancy from www.nancybabb-classes.blogspot.com

    -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, love all the ideas, now I have to decide which one to do. Loved the link too, great visual to wrap myself around. Can't wait to check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what your husband did. I am going to change my old windows for new ones, I only wish I had someone as talented that could replicate these designs. I especialy love the low cabinet. Congrats to him and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment